Sunday, March 21, 2010

Use the mind to lose the mind

“Remembrance: asking the mind to search for a solution to a potentially impossible challenge with the pre-supposition that once upon a time one knew the answer and therefore, an answer must exist.” Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

It is written in all the mystical teachings that the way is steep and narrow and few there be that find it and the safest route is an indirect one. Well, I definitely chose the safe route. It has taken me twenty-four years and I’m still trucking. They, (whoever they are), speak of this journey to enlightenment as an ongoing, eternal quest that is never-ending. I am beginning to get the picture.

This morning I woke up feeling very strange, here, but not here. It came to me the reason why is this constant jumping from the present to the past and back again to the present. One minute I am here and the next there and this is hard on the body circuits, never mind the brain. Memories are flooding in all day long as I focus on remembering the sequence of events that precipitated the state of mind I find myself in today. I can hardly write them down fast enough. The other thing that is happening is that as a certain past memory is thought of, instantly there comes into my mind another memory, but from a year much later in the future. From this new discovery I have been able to tabulate a timetable, a formula of sorts, that pinpoints specific learning stages of spiritual growth for the last twenty-four years of my life from beginning to end. Is this not exciting? Without knowing it I entered a new school of learning and just like when I was a child I went from kindergarten to elementary school to junior high and then onto high school. But unlike our earthly schools, in this hall of learning graduation from grade twelve is only the beginning. I was just getting started. I had another twelve years to go.

It’s an interesting phenomenon, this memory business. I find I have to constantly remind myself that when all this started I did not know then what I do now. This means that to remember what I was feeling then I have to empty my mind of everything I think I know today and put myself back in time and be that Elizabeth, who knew nothing. Try it! It makes my head sore.

And do we not believe, do we not know, that thoughts create reactions in the body and reactions in the body create thoughts in the head? I didn’t then, but I do now!

1 comment:

  1. I find it interesting that when I'm in a place, that I've been to before, it's like I've never left - I remember everything about that place, but it can only happen when I'm physically in that place.

    To think of that "place" when I'm in the present environment does not give me the same insight as actually being there. When I am physically there - I relive everything. I find that fascintating when thinking about my memories.

    Thanks for the blog
    Bernie

    ReplyDelete