Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I just went along for the ride

Although Caprice was feeling extremely apprehensive having to go into the hospital for a second surgery, it was over before she knew it. One night’s stay and we were on our way back home. The doctor told us he had removed the hooked end of the longer rod and this should relieve the pain she had been experiencing. Once home she was looking forward to getting back into the swimming pool, now filled and heated, so she could rebuild her weakened muscles from so many months of inactivity – (in the pool she could stand and walk, buoyed by the water).

Her strength began to come back over the summer and I was able to return to work part-time. I couldn’t leave her alone so I hired a young woman who was studying art in college to stay with her when I went to work. I thought it would be a good idea for her to teach Caprice to paint while she recovered so I bought paper, paint and brushes to this end. No dice! Caprice had no interest whatsoever so that was that!

By now I had read every book in the box and then I hit the library for more. If something caught my attention in any particular book I wrote it down in my journal. Almost all of the entries from this time are quote after quote after quote. As I reread these quotes now, written back in 1987, I am finding it fascinating how they are so connected to what I have now come to understand and accept about this business of life.

However, as happy as we were that Caprice was regaining strength and putting some weight on her frail little body, the pain wasn’t altogether gone. It was much better, but when she transferred from her wheelchair or moved her legs in any way she felt a piercing jab through her body, but it was nothing like before so she didn’t complain. By now it was September and school was starting so we were getting back into our old routines. Felt good! Then, one morning the phone rang at home and it was Roy on his way to work. He said, “there’s a psychic on the radio taking appointments for readings. Call her and make an appointment so I can see whether this new business is going anywhere.” I was surprised that he wanted to go to a psychic, but I hung up the phone, called the psychic and booked two appointments for the next day, one for him and one for me. And the rest, as they say, is history. I was about to venture into the realm of all things possible where it all happened so spontaneously and so quickly I had no time to think, I just went along for the ride.

“The wind bloweth where it listeth and thou hearest the sound therof, but canst not tell whence it comes and whither it goeth.” John 3:1-8

No comments:

Post a Comment